What do I do if my landlord harasses me?
I have paid my rent in full up to this point. I needed a little assistance for the months of March, April and May. I am paid in full up to May. I am a week late on June's rent. My landlord has been patient with me up to this point and understands my situation. I know my rent has to be paid on time, and she set up a 10 day grace period, so I have up to June 10 to pay my rent.
However, she's been harassing me. I understand why, but here's the nature of the harassment:
1. She's called me three times over the course of the week and has left angry phone calls, all early in the morning.
2. She intentionally waits for me to go out to my car and is verbally abusive, causing me to be late to work on occasion. This happens every morning when I go out.
3. She hasn't given me a rent receipt to show I paid my rent.
4. She has failed to fix a hazard (a railing leading up to my apartment) that I told her about back in April.
5. She is forcing me to give out private information (like phone numbers of family members) to get them involved.
6. She allows another tenant to keep cats (which I am allergic to) and I am not allowed to have ANY pets.
What should I do? I understand about eviction but what should I do about this harassment?
1 Answer from Attorneys
sounds like a bad landlord. why don't you move out? find a place without these problems?
Related Questions & Answers
Upon conviction, can the charges be upgraded (FROM 3RD DEGREE TO 2ND DEGREE) WITHOUT... Asked 6/10/13, 3:38 pm in United States New Jersey Civil Rights Law
Is it legal for a college student to perform sexual activities with a person of... Asked 4/23/13, 8:36 am in United States New Jersey Civil Rights Law
My boyfriends (of 2 years) parents placed him in a inpatient program for 6 months to... Asked 4/22/13, 2:32 pm in United States New Jersey Civil Rights Law
I am 22 years old. I was committed to a mental institution as a minor for attempted... Asked 4/02/13, 1:16 pm in United States New Jersey Civil Rights Law
My boyfriend recently moved into the condo that i rent. I have lived there for 7... Asked 3/23/13, 8:57 am in United States New Jersey Civil Rights Law