New Jersey  |  DUI Law

Recently my Virginia license was suspended because of a 1994 DUI arrest in New Jersey where I formerly lived until retirement. It was not until 10/2000 the relocated to Virginia and applied for a drving license whereby I listed & they checked with N.J. DMV before issuing me a license. What are some of my options ?

Answered on: 10/24/11, 7:18 am by Gary Moore

I am somewhat puzzled by your facts because states give recognition to dui in other states by suspending a persons home state driving license where the offense occured while the home state licensee committed the offense while licensed in the home state. How could a home state suspend a driver's home state license for an offense occurring prior to the issuance of the home state license? I believe you are the victim of a bureaucratic blunder and shoud appeal the suspension of the home state license.

Of course I am assuming that your New Jersey license was reinstated after your service of the license suspension in New Jersey, so that your New Jersey driving privileges remained suspended because you did no pay the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission restoration fee or you did not participate in the intoxicated driver's resource center program as required by the sentence imposed on the New Jersey dui conviction. You should give me a call.

Call me if you like.

Gary Moore Attorney At Law 31 Mercer Street P.O. Box 1280 Hackensack, NJ 07602-1280

Answered on: 10/24/11, 7:54 am by Greggory Marootian

There is an "open" issue from your 1994 NJ DWI that is placing an administrative "hold" on your ability to obtain a VA license. Did you even appear in response to the NJ DWI charge? Did you satisfy the fines/costs/penalties and alcohol awareness screening? Either you should post more information, or better yet, you would be well served by contacting a New Jersey DWI Lawyer who can properly guide you after gathering all of the relevant facts. Good Luck.

Greggory M. Marootian, Esq. 30 West Mount Pleasant Ave. - #203 Livingston, NJ 07039