New Jersey  |  Elder Law

My 93 year old grandmother has nine children, third daughter: a nurse has Power of Attorney. She is ill and hospitalized and under full resuscitate. However in her case the other eight children do not want her to suffer any longer and want her removed from resuscitate but being that the daughter with POA will not agree what can be done?

Answered on: 7/03/13, 1:28 pm by Keith Singer

The decision to resuscitate or not depends on the language in the advanced health care directive not the power of attorney. If your grandmother did not have one drafted by a lawyer the hospital will usually have the patient sign one upon admission. Please ask at the hospital for a copy of this document. You may send it to me for review then I can advise you. There will be no charge for review of the advanced health care directive. Best regards Keith Singer, Esq. 732-749-3700

Keith A. Singer, Attorney At Law 1901 Route 71, Suite 3-E West Belmar, NJ 07719