New Jersey  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/23/13, 9:21 am

In my divorce settlement there is a paragraph to sell the marital home. After the divorce, I wanted to try and keep the house and my ex wife stated that would be fine and signed a quit claim deed for me. When I filed the papers, she then filed an opposition letter and the judge denied my motion.

In my haste filing the papers I forgot to check that I wanted an oral argument and this was the reason the judge denied me because I was not in the court to defend my position. I was however at the courthouse and the law clerk said I could not go before the judge because I did not check oral argument.

I supplied the quit claim deed that was signed by my ex wife but I take it that was not enough. My question is can I file this motion again or do I have to appeal the decision. I have email documentation that my ex wife was on board with my decision to keep the house.

Thank you in advance

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search