Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

Can I get an engagement ring back? We were married on 12/31/11 - separated in April 2012 and final separation in August 2012. Divorced in March 2013. The stone was bought in 2010 - set as engagement ring September 2011. Since we were married for less than a year, is it possible to have the ring back?

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

The engagement ring is a conditional gift, conditioned upon the marriage. Once the marriage has occurred, the gift is complete and you don't get it back, even upon a divorce.

Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. Since it appears that you have not retained an attorney, you should contact a Family Law attorney to discuss your matter in more detail. Only then will you be able to rely on the advice. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

Your question is disturbing because if you were already divorced, you shouldn't have any questions about what you can or cannot get. Divorce should end all property issues between the two of you. Either you didn't have a lawyer or you had a really bad one.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey