Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

My son, almost 21, flunked out of college and was out of school for 11 1/2 months. My ex-wife did not inform me and I continued paying child support the entire time. He has since returned to school. Do I have grounds to file for emancipation in New Jersey or at least attempt to have the amount paid while he was not in school credited or reimbursed? For the past 2 1/2 years I have struggled as my hours have been reduced to 4 days per week. This equates to my pay has been reduced by 20% due to a slow down in the construction industry. I have lost my home, my car and now child support is after me for arrears. (about $3,500)

SAUL SEGAN SAUL H SEGAN ATTY AT LAW

I am assuming you are in Ocean County. Invest the time and go to Family Intake and file a petition for modification, and possibly the emancipation, seeking a credit toward your arrearage

You may be able to find a lawyer who will work on a reduced fee basis.

Contact the local regional legal service office to see what resources are available. When you were cut down to 4 days a week, a modification petition could possibly have been filed.

This is limited information I am receiving so what I am suggesting to you is based on that and may or may not be the answer.

You are welcome to call me at 215-370-2608, my cell phone. No charge for a phone talk.

Sorry you are going through this.

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

I did one of these recently, and fought hard. interesting situation.

I am up in Bergen, call if you like.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey