Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

My son, almost 21, flunked out of college and was out of school for 11 1/2 months. My ex-wife did not inform me and I continued paying child support the entire time. He has since returned to school. Do I have grounds to file for emancipation in New Jersey or at least attempt to have the amount paid while he was not in school credited or reimbursed? For the past 2 1/2 years I have struggled as my hours have been reduced to 4 days per week. This equates to my pay has been reduced by 20% due to a slow down in the construction industry. I have lost my home, my car and now child support is after me for arrears. (about $3,500)

Asked on 6/11/13, 1:08 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I am assuming you are in Ocean County. Invest the time and go to Family Intake and file a petition for modification, and possibly the emancipation, seeking a credit toward your arrearage

You may be able to find a lawyer who will work on a reduced fee basis.

Contact the local regional legal service office to see what resources are available. When you were cut down to 4 days a week, a modification petition could possibly have been filed.

This is limited information I am receiving so what I am suggesting to you is based on that and may or may not be the answer.

You are welcome to call me at 215-370-2608, my cell phone. No charge for a phone talk.

Sorry you are going through this.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 12:22 am
Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I did one of these recently, and fought hard. interesting situation.

I am up in Bergen, call if you like.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 9:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now