Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey


i have fathered a child out of wedlock. the mother and i have no relationship and a dna test was performed to establish paternity.

i have agreeded to her demands for child support. she insists on having the child use her maiden name, i prefer the boy to have my name.

Asked on 4/10/05, 10:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Antoinette Wooten The Hurley Wooten Legal Consulting, PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: surname

Well, you can always take the matter to court. In court you can establish paternity (show the test results, or even have another test done), advise the court that you are currently supporting the child, and then ask the court to assist you in getting the child to have your surname.

You might also try talking to the mother, and explaining to her why you want the child to have your surname. One good reason would be when you die your child will be entitled to your social security, etc. This will assist her if the child is still a minor.


Read more
Answered on 4/13/05, 9:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now