Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New Jersey

A judgement was place on my credit repport for a debt that is soley the responsibility of my wife. I live in NJ. How do I get it off my credit report and can I sue the ppl who falsely sued mr?

Daniel Levy Raff & Raff, LLP

This is a complicated issue and you do not supply all the information necessary in order to give a proper answer. Generally, the first step would be to vacate the judgment. You would need to show that you had a good reason for failing to defend yourself in court and that you have a meritorious defense. Often times, people argue that they were never served with the court papers, they first learned about the judgment much later (like on a credit report), and that the debt is not theirs. The next step would be to defend yourself in court regarding the debt. You would only be able to sue the people who sued you (usually a debt collector) if they violated the laws regarding the collection of debts.

You should consult with an attorney about this matter. Only your attorney can review the case with you and give you legal advice on how best to proceed.

Best of luck.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New Jersey

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms