New Jersey  |  Health Care Law

first notice of two year+ old medical bill

I have recently been sent a bill for emergency room services rendered over 2 years ago;this is the 1st bill I have received and the hospital is demanding payment by Nov. 17. The visit was the result of a fall from a car and no one ever asked at the time for the insurance info of the car owner. Now I can't find this person and don't have the cash to pay this bill. What can I do?

Answered on: 11/20/04, 5:12 pm by Alan Albin

Re: first notice of two year+ old medical bill

Since you received the medical services, you are directly responsible to the hospital, even if you cannot find the person responsible for your injuries to reimburse you.

After all, it's not the hospital's fault that you were injured.

You may still be able to locate the driver of the car and make a claim, but you need to do so immediately. Retain an attorney immediately to assist you and to determine whether other insurance, such as your own no-fault, if you had any, might be available.

Alan S. Albin, Attorney at Law 55 Madison Ave., Suite 400 Morristown, NJ 07960