Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey

Hello,

I am a 22 year old young professional living here in the United States. English is my first language and I can speak basic Spanish. I came to the US on a work visa but it has expired and I have fallen out of status. I have no criminal records or bad employment history and I have completed my bachelorís degree prior to my arrival. However I wish to work and enroll into school to further my education here. I will willfully pay my taxes and adhere to US laws and policies while gladly accepting second class low paying jobs for a living. Is there any way in which I can adjust my status and get a green card?

Thank you

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

If you overstay your visa by 180 days or more, you will become ineligible to adjust status UNLESS you are married to a U.S. citizen. Upon departing the United States, you will be prohibited from re-entering for 3/10 yrs (depending on if the overstay was 180/365 days or more).

In order to be eligible for a greencard, a person needs a petitioner, such as a U.S. company or a U.S. citizen spouse, parent or child over 21.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey