Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey

I arrived from USA to Pakistan on Jun 16th, 2009 after giving my US Citizenship interview. Before i entered the USA, I was informed at port of entry (JFK) and at the interview that I had to come back in the country within 6 months or my GC will be revoked/confiscated.

I completely forget the timeline and and over the date limit by 2 weeks. Two questions:

1) What happens if i go back and the GC is confiscated? Can tell them that i forgot or

2) I need that SB1 visa form to come back? Will they accept this visa even if i missed the date?

Asked on 12/24/09, 7:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Siliato Meyner and Landis LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The GC allows entry within one year of your last entry into the U.S. so long as CBP does not make a determination that you have abondoned your U.S. permanent residence. Even if CBP were to make such a determination, you would be entitled to a hearing before an Immigration judge in proceedings.

If you plan on spending a great deal of time outside the U.S. while you are a U.S. permanent resident, I would recommend that you apply for a Re-entry permit while in the U.S. We can assist you in this process.

The information contained herein is intended only for educational or informational purposes and is not a substitute for legal advice.

Responding to this inquiry in no way establishes an attorney client relationship; however, I look forward to exploring these issues with you further by way of telephone or in-person consultation.

Read more
Answered on 12/29/09, 7:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now