Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey

Hi I have overstayed my visa J1 (7 years here already). I just graduated from a nursing school and I have an employer to sponsor me. Is it possible to apply for the Green Card? Can I get work permit while waiting for the GC?

Asked on 4/23/10, 6:16 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unfortunately, it won't be legally possible. You can't get a work permit while waiting for your employment-based green card (unless you are eligible under EB1 or EB2 categories and can concurrently apply for adjustment of status), nor can you benefit from the petition for a green card filed by a prospective employer. Because of your overstay, the only way you can now adjust status would be through a valid and real marriage to a US citizen, where an "overstay" will be forgiven.

P.S. In addition, you need to review your J1 visa to make sure that it's not subject to 212e requirement/foreign residency.

I offer paid confidential legal consultations and can assist in matters of the U.S. federal immigration law to clients from all 50 States and internationally. If you’d like to schedule a telephone or email legal consultation, need legal advice or help, please let me know and I’d be glad to help you. Please email at Attorney [@] or LubaSmal [@] . Or you can TEXT a request for a consultation with an Attorney to 1-402-238-1238. Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please email first to schedule a consultation).

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like to request a follow-up confidential advice on your specific situation and regarding U.S.A. immigration-related issues, we can offer a paid consultation by telephone or email to clients from all States and globally. Please visit our website for more details.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/10, 7:13 pm
Anthony Siliato Meyner and Landis LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Inasmuch as you are out of status, you are not eligible to adjust status to that of a U.S. permanent resident under an employment-based category or change your status to a work visa status from within the U.S. However, a J-1 overstay does have some employment-based options. I recommend that you schedule a consultation with competent immigration counsel with a specialization in employment-based immigration matters.

The information contained herein is intended only for educational or informational purposes and is not a substitute for legal advice.

Responding to this inquiry in no way establishes an attorney client relationship; however, I look forward to exploring these issues with you further by way of telephone or in-person consultation. You may visit our website at or contact our office at 973 602-3434.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/10, 8:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now