Legal Question in Immigration Law in New Jersey

I had a son in another country and then i moved back to usa...i was born in usa but i never made him a citizen ...now hes 29 yrs old howv can i do it?

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

Depending on how long have you lived in the USA, and specifically after age 14, your son may be a US citizen by birth. I understand that you never contacted the US embassy in the country of your son's birth.

What do you mean you moved back to USA after giving birth to a son abroad? Did you leave him abroad, or if you took him to USA (on what passport)?

Please let me know if you would like to schedule a consultation.

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. This response doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established through payment of a fee. If follow-up advice or consultation on your specific situation is requested, we offer a paid consultation by telephone or email. Please visit our website http://www.law-visa-usa.com/contact_us.html for more details. Our contact email address is Attorney [@] law-visa-USA.com

Antoinette Wooten The Wooten Legal Consulting, PC

I would need more information regarding your particular case before I could comment on it properly.

However, when you say you “moved back to the USA” were you born in the US?

If the answer is yes, then your son would have an automatic right because he has a parent who is a US citizen.

Why did'nt you apply for your son when you first brought him into the country?

If you are a “Nationalized US citizen” then you would have to petition for your son by filing an application with the immigration service. This too you could have done once you became a US citizen.

Patricia Martin-Gibbons

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New Jersey