New Jersey  |  Insurance Law

I am a mechanic. A driver for one of my company's clients damaged my $10,000 Snap-On toolbox. I was told I'd be paid for the damage. Tried to get estimates, but no one who does painting will come to my location and to get the box to a location requires a flatbed which will cost at least $150 each way. The paint must be ordered and costs approximately $120/pint.

I was told by the supervisor's son (who works here as well) that he has someone who will do the painting on site--he also implied that I have some control over what the estimate might say. I just want to get it to look like it did before the incompetant driver scratched the entire back of it. I could not call this person--the spvr's son supposedly spoke to him.

Lo and behold, yesterday, along with my pay envelope, was a check for $200, which is a JOKE to say the least. What are my options, and what happens if i cash this check? Does it represent an acceptance and will I then be unable to recoup the difference between this and the actual cost of repair?