Legal Question in Insurance Law in New Jersey

As part of our divorce settlement, my ex was to leave our 4 children as irrevocable beneficiaries of his life insurance policy. He recently died, he named his daughter (from a previous marriage) in 1990 and never changed this, his daughter is now questioning that our children are his biological children. I have their birth certificate as proof of birth of our marriage. What are my options other than putting my children through a paternity test?

Asked on 4/01/13, 7:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Lindner Lindner Law LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I am not sure of the question, meaning what difference does it make if his other daugher thinks that your four children are not your husband's biological children? She can think what she wants, that doesn't change anything. If she is trying to get something that she wouldn't get if your children were his biological children, then it is her burden to try to prove that the children are not yours. The presumption from the birth certificate and your marriage is that the children are the biological children of your husband - you don't have to prove anything.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/13, 12:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Insurance Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now