Legal Question in Insurance Law in New Jersey

Rental Car Coverage

Recently, I was involved in a fender-bender type accident. The brake lines of a car driving behind me broke and the vehicle damaged the rear of my vehicle (about $3500 of damage) when I had to slow down. According to the police this accident was clearly caused by my opponent. The repair of my vehicle took 36 days because parts were not available immediately (I drive a Honda Accord). I had a rental car for the same amount of time and expected to be fully reimbursed for the cost of the repair and the car rental. However, my insurance told me that I am only covered for 30 days of car rental and would not pay for the remaining 6 days. The same insurance company insures my opponent and me. In order to recover the difference, do I have to go after the insurance company or the person that caused the damage?

Steven Murray Steven W. Murray, APC

Re: Rental Car Coverage

Sue the driver of the other car for all amounts you lost (your total damages) which you did not obtain from your own insurer.

More Insurance Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Insurance Law Legal Forms