New Jersey  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Do i have to have to registered with the state that i am renting a house and if i did and i am taking them to court for eviction can it be throw out because i am not a registered state of new jersey

Answered on: 6/06/13, 5:26 am by Rhonda Greenblatt

It depends on the number of units involved, among other things. If you are required to be registered and you are not, they can throw out the eviction action. If you would like me to review your specific situation, I would be pleased to do so. Please call my office at 609-927-9227 to set up an appointment for a consultation.

Law Office of Rhonda Greenblatt 222 New Road, Suite 302 Linwood, NJ 08221

Answered on: 6/06/13, 9:04 am by Matthew Schutz

Yes and no. First it depends on the size of the building. 4 units or more need to register with DCA. 3 units or less need to register in the municipality where the building is located. If you do not register the building give each tenant a copy of the registration and post it, the L/T Court will not have jurisdiction. This can be remedied. Usually the L/T Court will give the LL time to cure the issue.

Matthew R. Schutz, Esq. P.O. Box 325 Three Bridges, NJ 08887