New Jersey  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

We rented a beach propery on Long beach island NJ. The home was in a bad state when we checked it and despite promises by the owner to clean up and resolves a lot of the issues - he did not. We have proof of all the false promises he made via email and text messages. In the end, he even retained a portion of our deposit for ridiculous uncalled for charges. Now, he refused to answer a single call message or email. He also promised to repay us for an Internet router we had to buy while at his home due to a faulty one. He did not even give us money for that. We have proof of him agreeing to pay this. What are our chances in small claims court? Where would it be filed? Where the property is located or where the homeowner lives?

Answered on: 7/17/13, 3:20 am by Matthew Schutz

You have a good case. As far as venue goes, either works but I think the matter should be venued in the county where Defendant is resident

Matthew R. Schutz, Esq. P.O. Box 325 Three Bridges, NJ 08887

Answered on: 7/17/13, 6:38 am by Robert Davies

Call me, come in to my office, and I will assist. You want to sue him, but I would discuss with you how and where.

Robert Davies, Esq.

201 820 3460

The Davies Law Firm, P.A. 45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West Hackensack, NJ 07601