New Jersey  |  Real Estate Law

What is difference between judgement and liens. How can I find out if I have liens against my property.

Answered on: 4/20/13, 2:44 pm by Robert Gleaner

A judgment is not necessarily a lien against real estate. Judgments that are entered in the Special Civil Part in New Jersey do not become liens on real estate unless they are docketed. Then they automatically become liens. Judgments in the Law Division becomes liens.

Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. Since it appears that you have not retained an attorney, you may want to contact an attorney (either me or someone else) to discuss your matter in more detail. Only then will you be able to rely on the advice. If you call me at 856-546-8010, mention Law Guru and your first one hour consultation will be free. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Robert A. Gleaner, P.C. 415 S. White Horse Pike Audubon, NJ 08106

Answered on: 4/21/13, 8:55 am by Robert Davies

Judgment is a decision by a court that someone owes money to someone else. Liens are claims for money, and the claim is against a specific house or building or other real estate. Liens are filed in the county land records.

Call me and I will help you with your legal issue.

Robert Davies, Esq.

201 820 3460

The Davies Law Firm, P.A. 45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West Hackensack, NJ 07601

Answered on: 4/22/13, 8:32 am by Walter LeVine

I agree with the other authors, but add that things like mortgages are also liens. Many counties have put their liens and mortgages on the Internet so a search at the County web site might be a good start. Liens are public records so you can also go to the County Courthouse and search in the records room. Usually there are people who can assist you in this.

Walter D. LeVine, Esq. 23 Vreeland Road #102 Florham Park, NJ 07932