Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Jersey

My landlord after 13 years of renting has raised my rent this year from 1860-2100. He has given me 1 day notice. Is this legal,and what are my options?

Miriam Jacobson Law Offices of Miriam N. Jacobson

The landlord is required to give you notice much earlier than that. If you had a written lease, it would specify the timing of such notice. Considering the amount of time you've been there, the amount of the increase doesn't sound outrageous, but you are entitled to advance notice and should have the option of deciding not to remain in the property if you do not agree with the increase.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, SINCE I DO NOT HAVE ALL OF THE INFORMATION THAT WOULD BE REQUIRED, AND I DO NOT HAVE A REPRESENTATION AGREEMENT WITH YOU.

* If the answers to your question confirm that you have a valid issue or worthwhile claim, your next step should almost always be to establish a dialog with a lawyer who can provide specific advice to you. Contact a lawyer in your county or township.

* Another reason for contacting a lawyer is that it is often impossible to give a good answer in the Internet Q&A format without having more information. The unique circumstances of your situation and things that you may not have thought to mention in your question may completely change the answer. If you want to be sure that you have a complete answer to your question and an understanding of what that answer means, establish a connection with a lawyer who practices in the area of your concern.

Larry Raiken Larry S Raiken LLC

In order to respond I need to see a copy of your lease but the least amount of time if you have no lease is 30 days notice of any increase. Please call my office and schedule an appointment.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Jersey