New Jersey  |  Real Estate Law

I sent a lease that I had signed, as I am the landlord, to a prospective tenant. I asked prospective tenant to sign the lease and return it with a deposit check. I have not received signed lease or deposit and now want to ask a real estate agent to find a tenant.

I am concerned that I signed the lease. Does this cause any problems for me going forward? Should I tell the prospective client that given there has been no commitment on their part the contract is null and void? Thanks Carol

Answered on: 7/31/13, 7:11 am by Keith Singer

Dear Carol

Based on the information provided you need to send a letter to the prospective tenant cancelling the lease. You should send it certified return receipt requested so that you have proof of mailing and receipt by recipient. Then proceed with your new tenant after you receive the green card in the mail from the US Postal Service. Based on the information provided this should be all you need. If you require further assistance feel free to call. Best regards, Keith Singer, Esq. 732-749-3700

Keith A. Singer, Attorney At Law 1901 Route 71, Suite 3-E West Belmar, NJ 07719

Answered on: 7/31/13, 10:13 am by Walter LeVine

I agree with Keith, however I have not seen your initial letter or the lease, so there may be a time issue for a response. I suggest you include in the letter a statement to the effect that this action is being taken due to the failure to respond by the prospective tenant and shall become effective if there is no written response within 7 days of receipt. This should cover you to any future claim.

Walter D. LeVine, Esq. 23 Vreeland Road #102 Florham Park, NJ 07932

Answered on: 7/31/13, 10:50 am by Robert Davies

It sounds like you need to confirm that the tenant is not going to sign and show up to occupy the place. Exactly how to do that depends on a couple of things.

It sounds like you need a lawyer that you can ask questions when you need to, without having to worry about getting huge lawyer bills.

Call me, and I will assist you.

Robert Davies, Esq.

201 820 3460

The Davies Law Firm, P.A. 45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West Hackensack, NJ 07601