New Jersey  |  Real Estate Law

How do I transfer the title on my home to my wife living in the US from abroad? I currently live in the Philippines for work but my wife still lives in the US because our kids are still finishing school. My wife and I both have Green Cards. We are currently thinking about selling our home (in NJ) so I would like to transfer the title of the home to my wife so she has 100% of the title (we are currently both on the title) so she can sell the property without me having to be there or making the task more complicated. How do I go about transferring the title fully to my wife? Thank you for any input.

Answered on: 9/03/13, 9:13 pm by Keith Singer

You may contact my office tomorrow eastern time and I will explain further. I will prepare a deed and send it to you. You would need to have it signed in the US Consular Office in the Phillipines with the US official present at the time of signature. You would need to provide satisfactory ID and prove to the satisfaction of the US Consulate official that you are the correct person. Then you will send the Deed back to me and I will have your wife sign in my office in my presence. I will take care of the proper recording. Best regards, Keith Singer, Esq. 732-749-3700

Keith A. Singer, Attorney At Law 1901 Route 71, Suite 3-E West Belmar, NJ 07719

Answered on: 9/04/13, 7:00 am by John Corbett

It is not necessary for you to transfer the title. That approach may even generate some undesirable consequences for you. A simple power of attorney will do. You can give your wife the power to sign for you in a particular transaction or a broader power to sell the house on any terms to anyone. Either way, the power would usually be preferable to transfer of title.

See also: http://info.corbettlaw.net/lawguru.htm

Corbett Law Firm LLC 303 Walnut Ave. Evesham, NJ 08053-7016

Answered on: 9/05/13, 12:11 pm by Robert Davies

please have your wife call me and i will assist.

Bob Davies, Attorney

201 820 3460

The Davies Law Firm, P.A. 45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West Hackensack, NJ 07601