Legal Question in Tax Law in New Jersey

closing a business and NJ state says we did not file a return for 2 quarters in 1988. We were never contacted and they estimated a figure that we never come close to in 2013. Are we required to pay this?

Asked on 7/23/13, 1:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, the State usually over-estimates and creates an arbitrary assessment. Just do a late return with your calculation of taxes due and file it. Upon its acceptance, the State will adjust the assessment, correct it and process the return. If no taxes were due, a return was still required and should be filed now. This is a reply to an Internet question and the response is submitted for information purposes only, and is not intended to be legal advice or as creating an attorney-client relationship. Different or missing facts could change the response.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 1:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now