New Jersey  |  Traffic Law

Car impounded without cause

On Feb 9 at 6:45 PM I was pulled over by the two young NJ state police troopers for speeding on 287 (paced at 73 MPH in a 65 MPH zone). They asked for documentation. I could not find my insurance card but had my current policy which they would not accept. They found that my registration had expired last April (my renewal form was misplaced when I moved yo my home). They presented me with 3 summonses - speeding, no insurance, and an invalid registration. To my horror, they had my car (an Audi TT) towed and impounded. I was left at the next exit by the tow and had to call a taxi for the ride home after walking 1/2 mile to the nearest pay phone in the winter weaTHer. Was it improper for the troopers to impound my car and do I have any legal recourse?

Incidentally, I believe I was set-up by the two rookie officers. I had passed them 3 miles from where I was stopped where they were driving suspiciously slow on SR 22 right before the entrance to 287. I am a gay man (or as the former governor would say ''a gay American'') and have a colorful ''pride'' sticker on my car which they could not help but notice. I know in the state of NJ it is unlawful to be profiled because of your sexual orientation.