New Jersey  |  Traffic Law

If the DMV tells me I can drive, but my license is suspended, am I responsible?

Answered on: 11/25/12, 5:38 pm by Jonathan Mincis

If you know that your license is suspended then you should not drive. Usually, if the DMV sends you a notice advising that you are permited to drive, this means that your license was reinstated. Since they are responsible for issuing all drivers licenses, both commercial and basic within the State, how would they not know that your license is suspended? If you think that your license is under suspension, then you need to confirm with DMV to find out if it is or not and see if someone can tell you why it is currentlty is under suspension. If it is suspended and you know it is then you cannot drive because if you were issued a summons you would be guilty if you are aware of it. The answer to your question therefore is yes you would be guilty of driving while suspended.

Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq. Law Offices 131 Main Street, Suite 270 Hackensack, NJ 07601