New Jersey  |  Traffic Law

I was suspended for a DUI a few months ago. I realize I shouldn't have been driving, but here is what happened. I was pulled over for tint and a loud muffler after leaving my Fire Department, only blocks away. A cop I knew heard the call and pulled up on scene. They dropped all the tickets (muffler, plate cover, tint), except driving while suspended. They gave me a break. The ticket they gave me has a mandatory jail sentence of 10-90 days in the state of New Jersey. My question is, if that's the ONLY ticket they gave me, can I prove they didn't have probable cause to stop me in the first place? I have a tint waiver for the state of New Jersey and my muffler is 100% stock from the manufacture.

2 part question:

Is it worth fighting with a hired lawyer, or should I use a public defender?

Do I have any chances of getting out of the jail sentence?

Answered on: 8/24/13, 7:57 am by Greggory Marootian

You have, as you know, substantial sentencing exposure (1 to 2 year license loss and 10 to 90 days jail) if convicted. There might be a way to avoid the conviction completely (either through a defense - the cause to stop has to be further examined among other issues - or by a plea-agreement that downgrades the charge) or to avoid a jail sentence (with a jail alternative). The "chances" are dependent on a host of factors including your driving record, the DWI (was this 90-day license loss or 7-months or longer license loss DWI?) and the Court. I suggest that you consult with lawyers to discuss your case and issues on greater detail.

Greggory M. Marootian, Esq. 30 West Mount Pleasant Ave. - #203 Livingston, NJ 07039

Answered on: 8/24/13, 6:51 pm by Jonathan Mincis

You should consult a lawyer. As I stated previously there may be a way avoid jail. However, Mr Marootian is absolutely correct. If there is discovery there may be a way to challenge the stop but from the way you explained the stop it sounds like the officer had probable cause.

Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq. Law Offices 131 Main Street, Suite 270 Hackensack, NJ 07601