New Jersey  |  Wills and Trusts

Hello, I am on the deed as a 1/3 owner of a home in new jersey. The other 2/3's are my grandmother and grandfather. My grandmother had passed away several months ago and we are currently about to sell the home. My grandmother had left all of her assets and finances to my grandfather. So in short, when the home sells am I entitled to the 1/3 or 1/2 since there are only two owners now.

Answered on: 6/10/13, 4:37 pm by Kevin Pollock

If the deed says that you all own the home equally, you would now own a 1/2 interest. Sometimes a deed will specify something else though, so you should double check.

Kevin A. Pollock, J.D., LL.M.

www.PollockAtLaw.com

P: (609) 818-1555

Licensed to practice law in Florida, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

Also, visit my blogs at:

http://WillsTrustsEstates.blogspot.com/

http://BaseballLaw.blogspot.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The foregoing is offered for informational purposes only and is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. To indicate that you have read the answer it would be appreciated if you would check either the thumbs up or thumbs down box below. Circular 230 Disclosure: Any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

Law Office of Kevin A. Pollock LLC 112 West Franklin Avenue Pennington, NJ 08534

Answered on: 6/11/13, 8:11 am by Jonathan Chester

It would really depend on what the deed says....

Were you all equal tenants-in-common? If so, you would only have 1/3 regardless of the death of the other owner(s).

Lindabury, McCormick, Estabrook & Cooper, P.C. 480 Morris Avenue Summit, NJ 07901