Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in New Mexico

After being off of probation for ten years of a felony, can someone get the right to bear arms again?

Asked on 3/26/13, 12:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. Although it is theoretically possible to get that right restored in New Mexico, it is never possible to have it restored under federal law. Once you have been convicted of a felony, you become a "prohibited person" under federal law, for life, and may not legally possess a firearm, ammunition or a destructive device ever again. The penalties for "felon in possession" are severe and not worth the risk. The only way around this is a presidential pardon, and the chances of obtaining one of those are slim and none.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/13, 2:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Civil Rights Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now