Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Child Support

I would like to know what are my rights when going to court and filing a downward modification because of a significant change in my son's mother income (she is now a Correctional Officer for the state of New York for the past 5yrs) and since I am now ordered to pay child support for another child. I provided all the info to the judge Pay-Stubs, garnishment paysubs, and she never took not even a financial affidavit nor proof of income from the mother and the judge ordered that, I continue to pay the $90.00 a week regardless of the other child support which I am paying. At the time the judge ordered the 1st time was $75.00 a week(without my having a job, I was unemployed at the time and so was she.)I have done some research and see that the guidelines for the state of New York is 17% of COMBINED INCOME which means both of our incomes together not exceeding $80,000, which clearly didnt make a difference to the judge because she simply ''did not want to hear it'' which was her exact words. Ofcourse, the mother was represented by an attorney but I wasn't, I thought it would be in my favor since I had all the necessary documentation but once again I was treated unfairly. I would like to know what are my rights in this matter?

Asked on 8/10/01, 4:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amy L. Finch, 845-362-0387 Amy L. Finch, Attorney and Counselor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Support

You can go to court, but odds are not in your favor. Your child support obligation is based on your income, not the mother's income. You may get a slight change, due to the new calculation on combined income, but it probably will not be signifigant.

Judges often apply the same percentage to incomes over $80K. Sometimes they will even apply a greater percentage because of the high salaries.

Unfortunately for you, many judges are biased in favor of custodial parents when it comes to child support. You can bring a new petition, but it may not get you the kind of relief you want.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/01, 8:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now