New Mexico  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/17/13, 1:37 pm

my husband receives a union pension, should it be included in our divorce settlement? We've been married 18 years

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/18/13, 5:58 pm by George Chandler

Yes. Basically you're entitled to have of the pension he earned during the time you were married. See an attorney, to divide the pension you will have to do a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) with the divorce and this is better done by an attorney. Don't let anybody talk you out of it, unless you can get equivalent value from some other marital asset - but valuing these things is a tricky business that should be done by a qualified expert. See an attorney.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

George Chandler Law 1208 9th Street Los Alamos, NM 87544

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search