Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Inherritance in Divorce

My husband recieved some inherritance, in a divorce in New Mexico is the inherritance split in half?

John Watson John Watson, Attorney at Law

Re: Inherritance in Divorce

This is a great question! And the answer is NO. But, that doesn't mean you can't get some of the money. It just means that while it is classified as "inheritance" you can't get that but once it is classified as something else, like, oh. . ., his own seperate property, or something along those lines a judge could order him to pay you some money and the judge could say something like "I don't care where you get the money, I'm just ordering you to pay her $xxxxxx.00." You really should speak to a lawyer about what you want to do and what you are doing to get some of the money while he still has it in his possession. Good Luck.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico