Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

My mom and dad have been separated for 40 yrs never legally divorced. My dad past away does my mom get his benefits?

Asked on 3/01/13, 2:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Watson John Watson, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I will assume you are talking about Social Security Benefits. Tell your mother to go to the Social Security Office. The other part is that she may have survivor benefits as a spouse for 1/2 of the community property - if any existed. Because you did not provide any information surrounding the "question" you asked I can only tell you to take your mother to a family law attorney and explore what legal rights may exist for her to look into claiming.

Good Luck.

Law Guru

Read more
Answered on 3/01/13, 3:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now