Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New York

I have only had access to water in my bathroom, none in the kitchen due to pipe problems for about a month now. Washing dishes, mopping in bathtup! Landlord taking their time fixing. Do I have the right to withhold any/all rent monies? This has happened in the past with the electricity; cords running all over!...

Asked on 12/04/09, 11:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you have the right to "repair and deduct" but only after notifying your landlord of the problem and allowing him to repair on his own. Best to complain in writing, too (with mail return receipt requested)

Repair and deduct is a legal concept whereby should your landlord threaten to evict you because you have not paid all the rent, you have a defense, saying "sure I paid the rent, but part of it paid for necessary repairs"

Read more
Answered on 12/09/09, 2:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now