New York  |  Family Law

Custody Modifications

My ex and i share joint legal custody. She has physical custody. I have concerns about my child, he is getting in trouble at school. He is having trouble socializing with kids his own age. The School district he attends is sub standard.

I live in a superior district and have filed a petition for modification of custody. The basis is poor school behavior, the custodial parent often prevents visitation, she often degrades me in front of the child. who is 12. Any advice?

Answered on: 7/14/09, 1:40 pm by jeffrey lazroe

Re: Custody Modifications

A petition for change of custody or physical custody, or the residential parent must be specific in nature, and must show a change in the welfare of the child since the last time you went into court. The more specific the change, and the better documentation the better your chances. A superior school district where the child could reside is not really a change. All school systems are deemed to be equal. However the school records are of value as well as the prevention of visitation.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Lazroe

Jeffrey A. Lazroe attorney at law 410 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14202