Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I have paid child support to a woman for 17 years for a child that I have never had contact with. Am I responsible for the college costs for this child. I would not recognize this child if she appeared at my door step.

Asked on 8/09/12, 10:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Paula McGill Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you wanted visitation, you should have filed for visitation to know your child. You probably missed out on what could have been one of the best relationships in your life.

With that said, you have to comply with the court's order unless and until the court modifies it. Therefore, if the court states you are responsible for college costs, you have to pay for those costs. Otherwise, any payment for college costs are voluntary.

Also licensed and practicing in New York.

Read more
Answered on 8/11/12, 11:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now