Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

Plaintiff Fails to File Reply - Can Case Be Dismissed: I rec'd a Summons and Complaint for Breach of Contract from former attorney and replied within 30 days per state law. I rec'd a Reply in the mail from the attorney within 20 days, but when I asked the Court Clerk, they insist the Reply has not been filed. What do I do? Make Motion to Dismiss? Wait for Court to notice?

Asked on 4/02/12, 12:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark S. Moroknek Kelly & Curtis, PLLC.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unless you served a counterclaim in your answer, there was no need for the plaintiff to serve a reply, because it is not a necessary pleading. There is nothing you can do based on his failure to file it, as long as it was served on you in a timely manner. He can still file it so long as it was timely served.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/12, 1:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now