New York  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/05/10, 2:23 pm

If I'm the primary leaser, for an apartment with only my name on the lease and have another person in the apartment without a lease agreement. How do I kick the person out becasue of late payment of rent and also owes back payment of rent.

1 Answer

Answered on: 1/10/10, 7:29 pm by Jonathan Cohen

You can start a petition to evict him, because you are the overtenant (having leased the demised premises from a landlord) and he is the undertenant, so you can get him out through giving him a notice that his lease is terminated. That notice must be a 30 day notice; thereafter, you can start a petition to evict him (through a holdover, not a nonpayment action). You can do this on your own without a lawyer, and check websites showing landlords outside NYC how to evict tenants. But if you are confused that you are not the landlord, you status as the overtenant is sufficient to have him evicted.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney address not available

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search