Legal Question in Bankruptcy in New York

I just recd a notification in the mail today that my X-Husband has filed for Bankruptcy. He is in Mn and I am in NY. There is no way that I can attend the Meeting of Creditors. Can he legally discharge the lifetime Alimony that he owes me?

Nancy Delain Delain Law Office, PLLC

Without knowing the exact terms of your divorce, your and your ex-husband's relative circumstances, or the chapter of the bankruptcy code he's filed under, your question is tough to answer. Alimony is, in general, considered a priority debt (one that must be paid), but specific circumstances can change that determination. You might consider hiring a bankruptcy attorney IN MINNESOTA to attend the Meeting of Creditors on your behalf. The state bar associations often provide attorneys' names and phone numbers to members of the public who contact them asking for referrals, or, if you have a friend out there (not your ex), you might ask them to recommend an attorney for you. Alternatively, you might go on a site like LegalMatch dot com and state your case in Minnesota and let subscriber attorneys contact you.

THIS POST CONTAINS GENERAL INFORMATION AND IS INTENDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. IT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, NOR DOES IT CREATE ANY ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. FOR LEGAL ADVICE ON YOUR PARTICULAR MATTER, CONSULT YOUR ATTORNEY.

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in New York

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms