New York  |  Business Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/07/13, 4:13 pm

I was in business with a guy and we split up he owes me 12 thousand dollars he was paying me back for a little bit then stopped what can be done, should I file a police report not sure if he could get in trouble with law

2 Answers

Answered on: 7/07/13, 9:34 pm by Roman Fichman Esq.

Generally speaking. this is a civil and not a criminal matter and your recourse is to pursue a civil action (i.e. a lawsuit) rather than filing a police report. Before commencing a lawsuit sometimes a demand letter from an attorney can "convince" the debtor to pay the amount owed..Demand letters are relatively inexpensive so you should consider this option.

If you need help with a demand letter in this matter feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.

Roman R. Fichman, Esq. │ @TheLegalist

email: Info (@) TheLegalist (dot) com

t e l : 2 1 2 -- 3 3 7 -- 9 8 3 7

Disclaimer: This post has been written for educational purposes only and was not meant to be legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice or be relied upon. No intention exists to create an attorney-client relationship or any other special relationship or privilege through this post. The post may contain errors, inaccuracies and/or omissions. You should always consult an attorney admitted to practice in your jurisdiction for specific advice. This post may be deemed as Attorney Advertising.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Practice of Roman Fichman Esq. New York Manhattan, NY 10011-1607

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 7/07/13, 10:33 pm by SHAHRIAR KASHANIAN

Mail him a certified letter informing him of your intention to file a lawsuit upon his failure to pay. Provide him a ten (10) day grace period. Call him and warn him again. If the answer is not satisfactory, file a law suit.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

LAW OFFICES OF SHAHRIAR KASHANIAN, ESQ., 69 Stonehenge Road Manhasset, NY 11030

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search