Legal Question in Business Law in New York

What can I do when a dry cleaners ruins my wedding dress?

Nancy Delain Delain Law Office, PLLC

You can sue the dry cleaner for the cost of the dress (although you can demand them in your complaint, punitives are NOT likely to be awarded unless you can show gross negligence, and that's a heavy burden). If the dress costs less than $15,000, you can take them to small claims court; if the dress is more that $15,000, you must sue them in supreme court.

For evidence, you'll need the original price of the dress (the ORIGINAL sales receipt), pictures of that specific dress before and after the dry cleaning that ruined it (or bring the dress with you to court for the "after"; you'll still need "before" pictures), and the dry-cleaning ticket to prove that it was THIS dry cleaner that destroyed the dress.

Bring your lawsuit in the county in which the dry cleaner is located.

THIS POST CONTAINS GENERAL INFORMATION AND IS INTENDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. IT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, NOR DOES IT CREATE ANY ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. FOR LEGAL ADVICE ON YOUR PARTICULAR MATTER, CONSULT YOUR ATTORNEY.

More Business Law questions and answers in New York

Business Law Legal Forms