Legal Question in Construction Law in New York

In dispute with contractor.Emails and signed contract clearly state he lied about workman's comp ins. Has been fined by local consumer affairs dept and is now under investigation by the state comp board.Was fired when i found out. Is contract null and void based on lies to induce me to sign it? Never would have hired a un insured lying contractor.. Has threatened me with lien wants payment for work never finished. Said I unjustly fired him and enriched myself. Can't really figure out what rules are. Thank you

Kevin Connolly Kevin J. Connolly

Liens are very complex. However, you clearly have a right to terminate the contractor in this case because his failure to obtain WC (and EL!!) insurance put you at risk.

This sounds like he has spoken to a lawyer. You should have your own shark, and we should talk. No charge for the consult. Look at my website, kevinjconnollylaw.com for details of my expertise on liens and other things, too. And call if you like, 516-242-1453.

More Construction Law questions and answers in New York

Construction Law Legal Forms