Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

i was contacted by a company in Orlando fl. Stone Whitman and Assoc stating I had a bank of deleware credit card issued by chase 10 yrs ago. said i had to pay 3400 now or go to court. i called chase they do not issue credit cards for bank of deleware. i looked up this company on the BBB site in Orlando and nothing comes up. Is this fraud?

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Could be. The Statute of Limitations has run anyway.

Guy Lewit Guy Mitchell Lewit, Esq.

If it is the Whitman I knew years ago the answer is probably. There was a collection agency known as Whitman Consultants in Florida years ago that routinely stole their clients funds (I was retained to collect an account and was advised by the debtor that they had settled the claim with Whitman Consultants...and provided proof. Whitman kept the funds and maintained the account obtaining funds from the client to sue the debtor...which of course never happened). Looking up a company on the BBB does not mean they don't exist. If you are NOT in Florida they can't bring you to court there...wait for it to arrive in NY and contact my office at Gatlaw@aol.com. I'll be happy to take a look.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms