Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

Can a lawyer help to take a cosigner off a school loan. My dad wants to be out, my loans are at default right now, I started paying but he has plans on buying a house and needs to get out of my loan. What can I do? Any advice?

Asked on 11/08/10, 12:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The lender has to agree to remove your father off the loan. Financial institutions won't agree to do that unless the primary obligor has the credit and repayment ability to repay the loan. Another way to remove the father from the loan is to obtain financing through another institution to repay the loan.


1225 Stewart Avenue

Suite 325

Garden City, NY


Read more
Answered on 11/13/10, 2:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now