New York  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/04/10, 12:52 pm

I loaned a friend $8,000 that was documented and recorded. There was both an oral and written contract (non-notarized). The loan was supposed to be repaid within 3 months. It has now been 3 years and I've made every attempt to work with the person and come up with a feasible payment plan. It has become clear that I will not be getting my money back and I am ready to seek a judgment against this friend. However, I am not sure how to proceed because of the amount (I think $8,000 is above small claims limits) and the venue. At the time of the loan, I mailed the person a check from Nassau County, New York to New York City. Since receiving the loan, the person has moved to New Jersey and then most recently to Connecticut. In what type of court & in what jurisdiction would I try to obtain a judgment against the person in? What would be the initial steps?

Note: The person has somewhat threatened me that he will declare bankruptcy if I declare this matter in court. I'm not looking for a major legal battle or to rack up major legal fees, but I would not mind forcing the person to declare bankruptcy if I'm not going to get my money any ways.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search