Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

I recently met a man online and we set up a date. While getting ready for the date I started getting a bad vibe and decided to call it off. So I texted him and apologized and excused myself. He called me back and yelled at me claiming I had wasted him time and money. Apparently he had bought tickets to a ball game and a flight ticket for me to go to Myrtle Beach with him. I told him how I had never asked for any of those things and told him that if it helps he could send me the bills and I would be happy to pay him back. Instead he threatened to sue me unless I sent him about $500 via Western Union. I politely declined to do that. Later that day I received a text message from him stating that he has filed a lawsuit against me and that there would be a court date in about 6-10weeks. I am an international student on an F-1 visa. I had mentioned this to him and the fact that I was planning on going home over the summer for a couple of months. He said that he has notified the customs and immigration about this lawsuit. I would like to know if he can truly do this. I never signed any contracts or anything so I do not understand what I did wrong here. Please do let me know if he can indeed sue me and if there is anything I can do to protect myself.

Amy Klauber Klauber & Klauber, LLP

I do not believe he has any legitimate claims against you.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms