Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

My boyfriend was arreseted for violating a no illegal contact restraining order and violting much time do you think he will get?

Asked on 6/23/13, 2:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Katz Fink & Katz, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A "no illegal contact restraining order"? I am not sure what that is, however, the penalties for violating a valid order of protection will depend upon so many factors that it would be impossible to answer your question without more information. For example, different locales of the State of New York prosecute violations of orders of protection differently. Moreover, if your boyfriend has a past criminal record that will likely increase the probability of Jail time. Typically in the New York City area, a first time violation that does not result in personal or property damage can be pled down so that the offender does not do jail time. Ultimately the prosecutor makes a decision as to whether to offer a no jail time plea, and the Court decides whether to accept it.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/13, 4:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now