New York  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/05/13, 6:58 am

my friend was charged with criminal possession of controlled substance in the third.b felony in September of this year 2013.. when he was 19, back in 1997, he was convicted of BURGLARY 2ND and was sentenced to five years for that charge and was released from parole in may of 2002. my question is," they are now charging him as a PREDICATE felon and it has been over 11 years since he was released from his previous charge. From my understanding is that they can only do this if it is befor 10 years from the time he completed his sentence." he has a public defender and they only came to visit him once since he has been arrested and that was to tell him that they are offering him 9 years with 3 post release supervision and that he should take the deal. Can someone please give me some more insite into this subject.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search