Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York


I am applying for a NYS PI /WGP /Support Staff license through a new job i am starting on Monday. The company that hired me said i passed their background check. However I am worried about the license. I have a misdemeanor conviction on my record. The original charges we a few felonies such as assault and robbery in the second degree. I did not commit these crimes but i pleaded guilty because i was 18 and scared to face jailtime.As part of the paperwork that has to get sent for the license i have to include a disposition, accusatory instrument(police statement) and a written explanation of what happen. I need to know if my best route is to Just say I did the crime and talk about all my accomplishments since then or Say I didn't do it and I just said I did so I would go to jail. Please help me out here I am very confused on what to do. Thanks.


Asked on 5/10/13, 12:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Arkady Bukh Bukh Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your questions confuses a little bit. First you say that you passed their background check which would be likely if you only have a misdemeanor on your record. If you only have a misdemeanor on your record, why do you say you pled guilty to a felony. Since this is important you might want to consult a criminal defense attorney to help you with this paperwork and your explanation. Definitely bring all these facts to an attorney and have them help you.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/13, 5:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now