New York  |  Discrimination Law

discrimination/breach of contract

I currently have a grievance pending against my Graduate School regarding my dismissal from a PhD program because of a medical leave of absence that I took. I know it is a violation of Federal Law to terminate an employee because of an approved medical leave. However, because I was a graduate student, I am told that law does not apply. Is there any action a student can take against an educational institution for discrimination?

Below is the response I received from another attorney re this matter. She indicates that as a TA (I was a teaching assistant), I might be covered under some form of employment law (such as contract law). Also, the university has dragged the grievance process out for so long that I was unable to file with the campus EEOC (they have a 180 day time limit for investigating complaints.) So the time element is an issue. What is the statute of limitations on issues of contract law?