Legal Question in DUI Law in New York

I got a PL 221.10 01 yesterday and the cops searched the car found my friends marijuana they hand cuffed me, put me in jail and charged me. I would like to no what my options are, I am a broke college student and I don't want anything on my record, please help me.

Richard Sweeney Richard F. Sweeney, Esq.

Are you only charged with Crim Possession of Marijuana 5 or is there also a Driving While Ability Impaired by Drugs charge? That's not clear by your question. Either way, you have to respond to the court when your ticket says to go. If you can't afford an attorney, ask the court to appoint one to represent you. The attorney will negotiate with the DA and try to get the charge(s) reduced to a violation or perhaps an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal. The ACD in a marijuana case is for 1 year. If you are not re-arrested during that 1 year and you follow any other rules like community service, the case is dismissed and sealed.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in New York

Terry A. NelsonNelson & LawlessRiverside, San Bernardino & LA, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA